I am a curious & distressed person born in a post-1989 Mainland China. My passions are software and music since I find joy in taking apart the patterns and trying to arrange them in new ways. I’m frequently fascinated by general STEM and humanities topics as well.
During my time on fedi, I hope I can connect with a global community with shared values and interests without being monetized by big tech, as well as rediscovering Chinese culture without being plagued by authoritarianism.
…aaaaaand of course I had to f*ck up the migration process somehow and nearly wiped out the followers list there. Zero idea how it happened.
Guess I might as well create a new account at https://weirder.earth now. See ya in a minute.
Oh sh*t. I just realized a surprisingly long list of servers suspended https://qoto.org.
Those are just a handful I have valued connections with. I guess I better migrate back to https://mastodon.social, at least for now. *sigh*
FWIW, my current stance is very supportive of QOTO’s policy of not defederating with any servers instance-wide, leaving the choice entirely up to the residents. I guess I have to compromise with the fact that so many admins are so against the policy that they chose to suspend QOTO.
@overdrive 最近迁移实例之后就想在三次元迁移实例。我所在这个实例管理员习近平和 mod 团队中国共产党都是些屌人，现在整个实例也快要沦陷为屌人实例了。
instance migration, but for meatspace
fedi netiquette questions
1. When someone does *not* put an explicit personal policy for follow requests, e.g. “don’t follow unless we know each other IRL”, “don’t follow unless we’ve interacted before”, is it generally considered poor netiquette to directly send a request without prior notice?
Reason: I’ve seen many times folks replying to a someone else’s toot asking if it’s ok to send a follow request, and only actually sending it after receiving an explicit go-ahead. I’m not sure if it’s them being extra polite or am I ignorant about the community’s expectations.
2. Is it considered poor netiquette to use a profile pic containing direct eye contact, e.g. the one my account is using right now? Or perhaps the answer varies depending on your potential audience, e.g. such avatars should be avoided if many of your followers have anxiety?
Reason: I’ve seen many times folks use the CW/“Mark media as sensitive” features on selfies containing direct eye contact. Again, I’m not sure if I’m being ignorant.
if you were wondering what happens when oulipo.social (doesn't allow the letter E) meets dolphin.town (only allows the letter E): https://dolphin.town/users/e/updates/2643
Hmm，刚看到手中还有一份 #ThisWarOfMine （《 #这是我的战争 》）的 Steam 密钥。身边朋友们都送过了，这份送给友邻！ https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=3zFpDeGn2rss7cnm
- 需注册 Humble Bundle 账号领取。
- 该密钥归属 Steam 美国区，只有定价不高于美国区的 Steam 账号才能成功领取。
So #FollowFriday is a thing, heh Let’s be friends!
These days I spend my free time exploring the potentials of Arturia’s BeatStep Pro. So if you want to talk about step sequencers, drum machines and 🅱️ass lines, I think we’ll get alone fine!
Twitter deactivation shenanigans
So I promptly deactivated my Twitter account as soon as my requested data archive arrived. Turns out the archive only contains a list of the lists I created, but not the lists’ members.
I was planning to subscribe to the RSS feeds of those accounts via Nitter…Oh well. What could I possibly miss out on. *deletes archive*
questions about QOTO
Hi #QOTO folks, I have some questions about our instance:
1. Does QOTO receive donations of any sort to help defray server costs?
2. I read on https://qoto.org/about/more that it’s possible to post local-only toots that won’t federated with other servers but I can’t find this particular privacy option. Where do I access it?
3. How long does it usually take for the QOTO fork to merge new Mastodon features from upstream? I’d love to see auto-delete old posts and editing posts coming to QOTO, but we’re currently on v3.2.1 released in Oct 2020.
I’m really lovin this community so far!
QOTO: Question Others to Teach Ourselves. A STEM-oriented instance.
An inclusive free speech instance.
All cultures and opinions welcome.
Explicit hate speech and harassment strictly forbidden.
We federate with all servers: we don't block any servers.