The Fediverse is Mastodon, Pleroma, Diaspora, Friendica, Hubzilla, Osada, and all their friends, federating. 👍
But what do we call all the silos, the ad-based family of Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, and friends? It’s the Adverse! A universe founded on ad serving. And a reminder that they offer plenty of adversity. All the adverse silos stand alone, like rocks, like islands, like Alcatraz. 👎
And what about Orkut, Google Wave, Google+ and other networks that have come and gone. This is the Necroverse.
Sometimes networks that seem alive today slide into the necroverse. Let’s hope we keep our network alive. Here’s to many happy years in the fediverse! 😁🥳
The appalling recommendations of the surrogacy committee https://ionainstitute.ie/the-appalling-recommendations-of-the-surrogacy-committee/
New genetic screening lets parents practice eugenics https://ionainstitute.ie/news-roundup/new-genetic-screening-lets-parents-practice-eugenics/
When you're posting hashtags that contain multiple words, it's a good idea to capitalise the first letter of each word. This helps blind people who use screen reader software to know what the hashtag actually says.
This kind of capitalisation is usually known as "CamelCase". CamelCase doesn't just help blind people, it also makes hashtags clearer for sighted people too!
Using CamelCase won't affect your post's visibility (because searches ignore capitalisation) but it will improve the post's accessibility, so you'll get more people reading it.
Thank you to @martyn for raising this topic 👍
How religious sisters are the real founders of modern nursing https://ionainstitute.ie/how-religious-sisters-are-the-real-founders-of-modern-medicine/#NursesDay #NursesDay2022 #InternationalNursesDay
Marriage in Ireland continues its decline https://ionainstitute.ie/marriage-in-ireland-continues-its-decline-2/
On 9 May 1950 Robert Schuman set out his idea for a new form of political cooperation in Europe, which would make war between Europe’s nations unthinkable. This proposal is considered to be the beginning of what is now the #EU. 1/2
How Should We Approach Triage in the Crisis?
By Catherine Kavanagh The current crisis of care in nursing homes is explained by some as simply an exercise in triage, necessary because there are not enough resources to go around, and it is alarming how many people simply shrug it off as inevitable. However, before capitulating completely to the law of the jungle, it […] https://ionainstitute.ie/how-should-we-approach-triage-in-the-crisis/
• European Ombudsman
In case I forgot any institution or politicians, please respond!
Breda O’Brien: Learning to listen to those with whom we disagree is vital https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/breda-o-brien-learning-to-listen-to-those-with-whom-we-disagree-is-vital-1.4865168
The Somerville Quartet | The Point Magazine https://thepointmag.com/criticism/the-somerville-quartet/
Yet another study confirms the benefits of religious practice https://ionainstitute.ie/yet-another-study-confirms-the-benefits-of-religious-practice/
16. Write something about yourself in your profile and add a picture. You don't have to use a real name or photo, call yourself whatever you want and use any picture you want.
17. Write an introductory post about yourself and give it the hashtag #Introductions, so that people can say hello to you
18. Make sure you use hashtags in public posts so they can be discovered more easily. Most searches on Mastodon depend on hashtags.
19. Posts on Mastodon are also known as "toots" (because that's the noise an elephant makes, and the Mastodon is an ancient ancestor of the elephant 🐘 ), while retweets here are "boosts".
11. Mastodon instances and Mastodon servers are the same thing. It doesn't matter which word you use.
12. Don't worry too much about which server you choose, you can always move your account later (see here for details https://mstdn.social/@feditips/107939441820299376).
13. You can even set up your own Mastodon server if you like. You don't need any tech skills if you use a managed hosting service like https://masto.host or https://federation.spacebear.ee, who do all of the techy stuff for you.
14. You can find apps to use at https://joinmastodon.org/apps. You do not have to use the official apps, if you don't want to! There are lots of great unofficial apps which actually have more features than the official ones. You can see the unofficial apps on https://joinmastodon.org/apps by scrolling down to the "third party apps" section.
8. If you're blind or partially sighted, there's a guide specifically for screen reader users at https://www.starshipchangeling.net/mastodon
9. There is no overall owner of Mastodon, it's a collection of thousands of independent servers each with their own owner and set of rules.
10. There are no venture capitalists or cryptocurrencies or tokens or coins or web3 or NFTs or anything like that on Mastodon. Servers are entirely owned and paid for by their admins, and they rely on donations to keep going. Please be nice to them, they're doing you a favour by building this lovely corner of the internet.
QOTO: Question Others to Teach Ourselves
An inclusive, Academic Freedom, instance
All cultures welcome.
Hate speech and harassment strictly forbidden.